Interdisciplinary Biochemistry Program
This privacy notice applies only to the Interdisciplinary Biochemistry Program (https://biochemistry.indiana.edu/) and explains our practices concerning the collection, use, and disclosure of visitor information. Visitor information collected by Interdisciplinary Biochemistry Program will be used only as outlined in this privacy notice.
Other units at the university may collect and use visitor information in different ways. Therefore, visitors to other university websites should review the privacy notices for the particular sites they visit. Interdisciplinary Biochemistry Program is not responsible for the content of other websites or for the privacy practices of websites outside the scope of this notice.
Because Internet technologies continue to evolve rapidly, Interdisciplinary Biochemistry Program may make appropriate changes to this notice in the future. Any such changes will be consistent with our commitment to respecting visitor privacy, and will be clearly posted in a revised privacy notice.
Collection and Use
When you view pages on our site, the web server automatically collects certain technical information from your computer and about your connection.
This site is hosted on IU Sitehosting, a shared web–hosting environment provided by IU’s University Information Technology Services. For more information about privacy practices related to IU Sitehosting, read the Webserve/IU Sitehosting Privacy Notice Supplement.
In addition to any information collected by IU Sitehosting, our server and/or site collects the following:
- your IP address
- the domain name from which you visit our site
- user-specific information on which pages are visited
- aggregate information on pages visited
- the referring website
- the date and time of visit
- the duration of visit
- your browser type
- your screen resolution
Continued use of our website indicates consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice.
This technical information is retained in detail; it may not have a current retention/deletion schedule.
Some technical information is retained in aggregate; it may not have a current retention/deletion schedule.
Other than automatically collected technical information about your visit (described above, or cookies, described below), we may ask you to provide information voluntarily, such as through forms or other manual input—in order to make products and services available to you, to maintain and manage our relationship with you, including providing associated services or to better understand and serve your needs. This information is generally retained as long as you continue to maintain a relationship with us. Your providing this information is wholly voluntary. However, not providing the requested information (or subsequently asking that the data be removed) may affect our ability to deliver the products or service for which the information is needed. Providing the requested information indicates your consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice. Information we may actively collect could include:
- the email addresses of those who post messages to our bulletin board
- the email addresses of those who communicate with us via email
- the email addresses of those who make postings to our chat areas
- telephone number
- fax number
- payment information (e.g., credit card number and billing address)
- information volunteered by the visitor, such as preferences, survey information and/or site registrations
This information is:
- used for internal review and is then discarded
- used to improve the content of our site
- used to customize the content of our site
- used to notify visitors about updates to our site
- used by us to contact visitors for marketing purposes
Information Used For Contact
If you supply us with your postal/mailing address:
- You may receive periodic mailings from us with information on new products and services or upcoming events.
If you do not wish to receive such mailings, or would like to be added to our "do not share" list, please let us know by:
- sending us an email at the listed address
We may share aggregate, non-personally identifiable information with other entities or organizations.
We do not share any personally identifiable information with other entities or organizations, except when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our website and applicable laws, or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our website.
Except as described above, we will not share any information with any party for any reason.
Except as provided in the Disclosure of Information section below, we do not attempt to use the technical information discussed in this section to identify individual visitors.
A cookie is a small data file that is written to your hard drive that contains information about your visit to a web page. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you may configure your browser not to accept them at all, or to notify and require approval before accepting new cookies. Some web pages/sites may not function properly if the cookies are turned off, or you may have to provide the same information each time you visit those pages.
- store visitors preferences
- record session information, such as items that visitors add to their shopping cart
- record user-specific information on what pages users access or visit
- alert visitors to new areas that we think might be of interest to them when they return to our site
- record past activity at a site in order to provide better service when visitors return to our site
- ensure that visitors are not repeatedly sent the same banner ads
- customize web page content on visitors' browser type or other information that the visitor sends
This site is not directed to children under 13 years of age, does not sell products or services intended for purchase by children, and does not knowingly collect or store any personal information, even in aggregate, about children under the age of 13. We encourage parents and teachers to be involved in children’s Internet explorations. It is particularly important for parents to guide their children when they are asked to provide personal information online.
Use of Third Party Services
Disclosure of Information
Other than sharing your information with other appropriate university personnel and units to ensure the quality, functionality, and security of our website, or manage your relationship with us, we will not disclose personally identifiable information about your use of the site except under the following circumstances:
- With your prior written (including email) consent
- When we have given you clear notice that we will disclose information that you voluntarily provide
- With appropriate external parties, such as law enforcement agencies, in order to investigate and respond to suspected violations of law or university policy. Any such disclosures shall comply with all applicable laws and university policies.
Due to the rapidly evolving nature of information technologies, no transmission of information over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. While Indiana University is committed to protecting user privacy, IU cannot guarantee the security of any information users transmit to university sites, and users do so at their own risk.
Once we receive user information, we will use reasonable safeguards consistent with prevailing industry standards and commensurate with the sensitivity of the data being stored to maintain the security of that information on our systems.
We will comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding the privacy and security of user information.
Links to non-university sites
Indiana University is not responsible for the availability, content, or privacy practices of non-university sites. Non-university sites are not bound by this site privacy notice policy and may or may not have their own privacy policies.
Privacy Notice Changes
From time to time, we may use visitor information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice.
Only data collected from the time of the policy change forward will be used for these new purposes. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check back at our website periodically.
If you have questions or concerns about this policy, please contact us.
Interdisciplinary Biochemistry Program
ATTN: Amanda Hemmerich
212 S. Hawthorne Drive
Bloomington, IN 47405-7003
If you feel that this site is not following its stated policy and communicating with the owner of this site does not resolve the matter, or if you have general questions or concerns about privacy or information technology policy at Indiana University, please contact the chief privacy officer through the University Information Policy Office, 812-855-UIPO, firstname.lastname@example.org.